Saturday, April 27, 2013

My Mentor

Marcia, Jan, Anne, and Beth... These are just a few of the mentors the Lord has blessed me with through my life. Women who have spoken truth into my life and shared their wisdom with me.

Marcia and Jan were nurses and women of faith in my community when I was growing up. Both helped support my dream of becoming a nurse and gave me practical advice on my career options. Anne was one of my teachers during nursing school at Seattle Pacific University. Her smile and joyful attitude were such a big encouragement during some of the long days. She was the one who first told me I would be a good teacher because I was naturally doing it already. I laughed at the time! Turns out she was right - I love to teach and combine that with my skills as a nurse and midwife.

When WorldVenture told me I would need to choose a mentor to walk with me through the journey from appointment to departure, I had no idea who to pick. My first thought turned to someone at home in the Hood River area. I was living up in Everett at the time though and really wanted somehow close by who I could meet with regularly. I had done a couple of Women's Bible Studies with my pastor's wife Beth and had really appreciated her wisdom, so I decided to approach her.

That was the beginning of beautiful relationship. One I know will not end with departure! She made the trip out to the WorldVenture Home Office for training with me and for my commissioning service. While I was still living in Everett, at least once a month you could find us at an IHOP or Starbucks talking and praying until one of us realized how late it had gotten. She has been one of those who I have gone to when the emotions and the fears seem overwhelming and it felt like I was never going to be able to depart. She has an in-depth knowledge of the Word and seems to know exactly the verse I needed to hear. Her prayers have been filled with knowledge and wisdom. I am hopeful that she will be able to come out and visit me in Indonesia sometime in the future. This will take a small miracle though as she is afraid of flying :)
I wish I had a better picture of her :( In this picture she is teaching during a Be Still Retreat

No comments:

Post a Comment