Saturday, June 29, 2013

How to Survive 27 hours of Flying!

Well this trip did not go as I had hoped! In the midst of all the turmoil (and some tears) though there was peace. A delayed flight on my first leg made me miss my next flight, which then cascaded to missing all of my flights. God is good though and I felt His care through the numerous emails, text messages, and Facebook comments from friends and family.

He provided unique blessings like a row to myself on my longest flight. The flight was pretty much full, but there was something wrong with the headphone jack of the person sitting next to me, so he and his friend were moved and I had the whole row to myself for the 12+ hours of flying! He also provided a hotel room in San Francisco when it seemed like there were no rooms left near the airport. Then in Singapore I was able to get a transit hotel room, which are usually next to impossible to get without a reservation. After 18 hours of flying, it felt good to shower and lay down for a few hours. There were other numerous little blessings from the people I met, to not having to pay any charges for my luggage in Indonesia. 

I do have to admit though that I was very glad to see my friends at the airport at my final destination! I am enjoying a chance to rest after traveling for three days and getting settled. The biggest struggle other than the missed connection early on was the fact that when I opened my luggage this morning here in Indonesia there were numerous things missing. My crate was almost completely empty! It was locked and didn't look damaged, but it was odd because there were things like only one shoe of a set. Possible it got dumped and things fell out. Whatever the reason it is hard to lose those things, like some of my special Christmas decorations, my exercise shoes, contact lenses etc.

Here are a few pictures of the adventure...
All of my ducks in a row. A gift from my three sisters, they headed to Indonesia with me. You will see them in pictures to come. 
All packed up and ready to go! Three checked suitcases (each weight just below the 50 pound limit) and two carry-on pieces). 

Ready to leave from the Portland Airport.  
Was so glad to finally be boarding this flight to Singapore after missing the first one. 
Surviving these long flights, has become quite the skill for me and I have slowly but surely figured how to make them at least tolerable and sometimes even fun. 

My bag of goodies for long plane rides. Gum, ibuprofen, lotion, glasses and contact solution, credit card for purchases on the plane, a pen for filling out immigration forms, and the all important deodorant. It goes in the seat back in front of me, while I am on the plane so I can reach it easily. 
A good journal helps pass the time, to process the emotions and record the experiences of the trip - this one was a gift from my sister, Laura. 

A good pair of noise-canceling headphones. They help keep that plane roar to a minimum, which helps save my sanity. They are also great for layovers in noisy airports, like sitting in the Starbucks at the Jakarta Airport :) 
Arrived!!! 
Arrived safe and sound, with what I thought at the time was all my luggage. This is my bedroom at my friend's house, where I will be living during language school. 
Making it home sweet home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment