Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Celebrating a Year of Living in Indonesia

365 days ago I boarded a plane to Indonesia. In some ways it is hard to believe that it has been a year and yet in other ways I have felt every day. Maybe because it has been a year and I don't usually go this long without seeing them, I have found myself missing family and friends a lot recently. Somehow thought it seems very fitting that this week I have moved into a more permanent house (more on that in another blog post to come with lots of pictures).

Really though it has been quite the year. Here are a few fun facts to review this first year of life in Indonesia:
  • I have been on 14 airplanes
    • 5 of those were the initial trip to Indonesia
    • During 3 of them I was on crutches with a foot in a large boot
    • On 2 of them there have been medical emergencies with no other medical people on board. Thankfully neither happened on the trips where I was crutches! 
    • But the real miracle - except for that initial trip, all of my luggage has always arrived with me :)  
  • I have slept in 16+ beds
    • That includes at least 8 hotel/motel beds 
    • One hospital bed following surgery
    • Oh and then there are the countless friends who have welcomed me into their homes, some for just a few nights and some for several months. 
  • I have lived in a town with 160,000 people and village with probably only about 1,000 people (if you count just Serukam). 
  • In my (locked!) closet right now there is currency from four different countries (US Dollars, Singapore Dollars, Malaysian Ringgit, and Indonesia Rupiah). I have also managed to open an Indonesian bank account and learned how to do internet banking with a token and banking via my phone too (that one is probably only a big deal to me!). 
  • But the best part is I am connected with people around the world via telephone, email, Skype, Facebook, SMS (texting for you Americans), iMessage, Blackberry Messenger, and What's App.  
There is a scaled used by missionaries (and probably others) of the adjustment process to living in a new country. They say to completely acclimate takes about 5 years. This is represented by how you respond to finding a bug in your glass of water.

Year 1 ~ If you find a bug in your glass you throw the water out and get a new cup. 
Year 2 ~ If you find a bug in your glass you throw the water out but immediately refill it without washing it. 
Year 3 ~ If you find a bug in your glass you fish the bug out but drink the water anyway. 
Year 4 ~ If you find a bug in your glass you drink it anyway, bug included. 
Year 5 ~ If you have a glass of water and there is no bug in it, you immediately find a bug and add it to the water because you need the protein. 

I am happy to report that I am currently about year 2 and sometimes 3 (depending on how much I want what is in the glass) on this adjustment scale. Although I seriously hope I never reach the 5th year!

As I write this the details are coming together for the next adventure -- I am headed out to Kuching, Malaysia to get a new visa. That will be another two plane trips and another new bed, for those that are keeping track :) Mostly though I am looking forward to my return and finally getting settled in my new place and making this house a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment