Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Question of When

One of my most frequent conversations these days is about the process of preparing for departure and when I will be leaving, so I thought it would be good to share some more of the details with you. Below is the document that WorldVenture uses to list the requirements that need to be completed before departure.


Basically it breaks down into several categories:

Books to Read: These are required for every long-term missionary preparing to serve with WorldVenture. They cover topics ranging from support raising, to history of missions, to cross-cultural integration. In addition, each missionary has books assigned by their specific country leadership team to help prepare them for service in that country or area of the world. In total each missionary reads somewhere between 10-15 books. An integration report is written after reading each set of books. I have completed integration reports one and two and am currently working on three through five. 

Growth Goals - These are specific to me and include taking Perpsectives, completing 30 credits of Bible including a systematic theology class, and writing a self-care plan. I have completed two of the three growth goals and am currently working on completing the Bible credits. 

Training: Every missionary is required to complete several training requirements to help better prepare them for service, help with making the cross-cultural adjustment and learning a new language. The first training is two weeks at the main WorldVenture office in Colorado following appointment. The second is a several days spent learning about partnership development and support raising back at the WorldVenture office several months later. There is also a 3-week training on cross-cultural adjustment and a 2 week training on language acquisition that are outsourced to other well-respected organizations. Finally you spend one final week at the main office for pre-departure training. I have completed the first two trainings. To attend the remaining three I have to have read all of the books, complete all of my growth goals, and be at least 60% supported. I am hoping to attend those trainings starting in the fall. 

Departure Clearance: Once I have completed all of those requirements and am at least 80% supported I will start on the final phase. This involves coordinating my arrival in Indonesia with the team already there, making sure all of the official documents like passport and will are up to date, final trips to doctors and dentists, and making travel arrangements. Finally of course I will plan to spend time with family, friends, and churches saying goodbye. 

So the answer to the question of when I will leave really does depend on several factors including how quickly I can complete these requirements and be 100% financially supported. My latest goal is a departure in late January 2012.  

So are you overwhelmed yet? I have to admit I was at first, but as I have started to walk through the process things have become clearer and it is always fun to check something off the list. I have completed all of the requirements in the first column and am slowly but surely working on the second column.

I have to admit there are days when I start to doubt whether this is all necessary but then I remember that WorldVenture has 65+ years sending missionaries and over 500 missionaries currently serving around the world. They are an organization that is known for their care of their missionaries. This personal care is something I have experienced before while serving with them and why I chose to serve with them again. Their and my desire is to succeed and thrive while serving, so time spent preparing now will I am sure pay off in the future. 

I am blessed to have a great team walking on this journey with me including 8 other "units" (single people or couples/families) who were appointed to serve with WorldVenture at the same time I was. We keep in contact via Skype and Facebook to share ideas and encouragement. I also have mentor and partnership development coaches (more about them another time) who I meet with regularly and who help keep me working toward the goal and encouraging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment