Wednesday, November 2, 2011

October Days to Remember

There were two exciting and refreshing events for me in October that I wanted to share with you.

First I had the chance to get together with Donda. She serves at Bethesda Hospital helping to coordinate the MedGo program. We had never actually met except via email and Facebook, but those who have served at Bethesda Hospital have a special connection and when we finally met it was like we had known each other for forever. She spent the month of October traveling around the US including a visit to the Seattle area. We spent the afternoon seeing some of the beautiful sights of the Puget Sound, including leaves just starting to change colors, which is something that doesn't happen in Indonesia. I had a great time catching up on news and people at the hospital and speaking a little Bahasa Indonesia. All in all it was a great afternoon with lots of laughter!

Donda and me at a local park
The second event was a chance to get away for a Be Still Retreat weekend in Oregon. For those that aren't familiar with Be Still Retreats they are a chance to unplug from the world for awhile and spend some time focusing on your relationship with the Lord and the spiritual disciplines. They take that unplugging from the world seriously as no watches, alarm clocks, cell phones, or computers are allowed (they wake you up with singing and flowers in the morning instead). It is amazing how relaxing it can be to just unplug! For example, from early evening on Friday until after breakfast on Saturday you are not allowed to speak with anyone to practice the discipline of silence and solitude. It is amazing what you notice when you are quiet! Lots of time studying the Bible, worshiping, and enjoying the beauty of the outdoors including a chance to lay out under the stars made this a refreshing weekend. It was also special that my mom was able to join me, which gave us a chance for some great talking time. All in all it was a relaxing and refreshing time!

November is off to a fun start as well because as you read this I am actually in Mexico. (the benefits of technology and scheduled posting!) This is a long talked about, dreamed about, planned and saved for vacation with all three of my sisters. We are spending the week together to celebrate my youngest sister's graduation from college and recognizing the fact that I will be leaving soon we are storing up some fun time together. I will post some pics from that trip when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment