Tuesday, August 16, 2016

A Happy Birthday

How can it already be that time of year again - time to celebrate another birthday?! As an adult, birthdays are different but I have to say this year it was more like being a kid. I got spoiled from beginning to end and thanks to the time difference, beginning to end lasted several days :) I am so thankful for a team that knows that sometimes the days that should be the happiest can be the toughest when you are far from my family and friends back home. So they kept me busy, kept me laughing, and made me feel loved. So my birthday in pictures and videos...

It actually started the night before, when our expat Serukam team got together for dinner to celebrate our two July birthdays. 

A cake for the two team members with July Birthdays. Ignore the fact that the banner caught on fire before we could blow out the candles :) 
Then came a yummy birthday morning breakfast from my teammate. I was busy Skyping with my parents and grandparents when she brought it by. 
Then it was off to the Nursing School office for at least part of the day. Here the birthday guy or gal supplies their own treats for the office staff. This year I had my helper make cinnamon rolls with frosting. They were a hit! But first the birthday gal had to give a little speech. I talked about how much I felt like the staff was becoming part of my family and I felt honored and privileged to work with them. I also mentioned several prayer requests. Then it was time for the birthday song. I should mention that this is the end of the academic year, we are all tired and busy (you can see the graduation invitations we were all busy folding in stacks on the table), and oh the camera didn't record the first time so they did it again for me so it could be recorded :) 


This is the traditional Christian Indonesian birthday song they are singing. Translated it means this:
I wish you happy birthday, my dear sister
I wish you happy birthday, may Jesus Christ bless you

I always pray for you
That you'll always stay faithful
To serve Jesus Christ as your Father & King

And I thank Him for your life
That He guided your steps
For you my dear one
I wish you happy birthday

Then we prayed together for the things I had mentioned in my speech. 

And then we ate cinnamon rolls :) 
After lunch I headed to our nearby town (one hour away by car) of Singkawang with the Underhill Family, my other teammates. We enjoyed some shopping, dinner at KFC and then a movie in the newish theater in town. It was my first time to a movie theater in a long time! 

We got to watch Jason Bourne before it opened in the U.S. :) 

I should say the guys (and me) enjoyed this movie but their youngest kiddo and mom went to see the new Ice Age
We didn't get home till late and it took me days to respond to all the Facebook, What's App, email etc greetings. In fact I still have some emails I think I need to respond to. Plus the birthday gifts are still arriving :) All in all it was a good birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment