Monday, August 10, 2015

Birthday and a Funeral

So what did you do on your birthday was a frequent question from family and friends. Unfortunately the actual day I had to go to a funeral. Pastor Martin Luther served the Baptist church of Indonesia for many years. He was also a respected board member for our hospital. I had attended several meetings with him over the past year and appreciated his perspective. He leaves behind a wife, adult children and many grandchildren.



But just because I didn't get to celebrate on my actual birthday doesn't mean I didn't find time to celebrate. Since I am single it seemed easiest to just throw my own birthday party and celebrate with my friends here. So the Sunday evening before I hosted the Doctor's Bible Study at my house. We managed to eat four homemade pizzas, salad, fruit and almost two whole cakes! It was also a refreshing time of fun and fellowship. Oh and we did study the Bible too :)

Yum! Just waiting to be cooked - I have a very small oven it turns out. 

Food, food, and more food all gone :) 
For my actual birthday I planned to invite the other staff and teachers at the nursing school over for lunch. Because of the funeral we couldn't do that, so it was delayed a day and instead we celebrated on Thursday. This time we feasted on Indonesian food including yellow rice, chicken, and all the trimmings. The shape of the yellow rice is a traditional way of preparing it for special celebrations.

With the cooks


With the Nursing School staff at my house

All in all it was a good birthday. I also received a package from my Grandparents, several cards and lots of Facebook, email, What's App, and BBM messages. Oh and there is still one package coming from parents, so technically the birthday is not over yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment