Friday, December 5, 2014

A Week of Refreshing and Thanksgiving


 
I love my busy days here in the jungle for the most part but it is also essential that I get out for periods of rest. I know this month of December will be a busy one and since I am the only missionary here this Christmas, I will need to be present at as many of the Christmas activities etc as possible. So instead, I decided to take a week of vacation during the week of Thanksgiving. I headed out to visit my good friend Jenn and her family in the town of Salatiga, where I did language study. Being away from friends and family during the holidays can be tough but hanging out with these two cute (and very active!) little boys is the perfect cure for that! Plus some good talks and movies in the evenings helped too. 


 I also had fun getting together with the group of ladies I did Bible Study with last spring and get caught up on what is happening in their lives and sharing with them what is happening with me. That morning also included a birthday celebration for one of the women.


I also enjoyed a lunch (and two hours of talk time!) with some of my other friends. It was such a blessing to talk in English and be able to share some of the joys and struggles of ministry. 


And then came Thanksgiving Day - it is a normal day here with school and work etc because of course it is not a holiday here in Indonesia. But after Jenn and the boys got back from school we worked on getting the Christmas tree up and decorating it. Not exactly your traditional Thanksgiving day activity but it was a lot of fun! 


Then for dinner we headed to a restaurant that is owned by an American. There they prepared a traditional Thanksgiving dinner that even included real turkey!

While it wasn't Thanksgiving at home, it was a special time of blessing. And thanks to some good internet, I did get to do a video Skype call with my family and grandparents too! I hope your Thanksgiving was also a special celebration with family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment