Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Visa Trip to Singapore

My New Visa in my Passport

Well it is official - I have my one-year KITAS visa to study Bahasa Indonesia! I have just about wrapped up my time in Singapore and will head back to Indonesia tomorrow and dive right into the next unit of language school.

Though Indonesia and Singapore are only about two hours apart by plane they are two very different worlds. I woke in one world with a vinegar bug in my shower, water that wasn't safe to drink, and the sound of the morning call to prayer from the mosque in the background. Travel in Indonesia is full of the sound of car and motorbike horns and airports are full of people pushing and showing to get to the front of the line. It doesn't matter what "boarding group" you are in, everyone wants to get on the plane right away. No personal space at all! My first stop in the Singapore airport was the women's bathroom where all the women were lined up and patiently waiting. Two women tried to cut in and edge to the front of the line and the whole line of women reminded them rather firmly to queue and they were ushered to the back of the line. There isn't a lot of personal space here either but everyone is so polite about it. Here everything is organized from the taxi line, to a lovely room with AC and safe drinking water. And the metro system here is amazing. I take a taxi to and from the airport and that is about it because the subway and bus system can get me just about everywhere else. (technically I could take the subway to the airport too but it is a bit tricky with all the escalators and my bags.) Anyway it is quite the adjustment and I am headed back through it again tomorrow.

The View out my Hostel Room
Traveling by myself and doing these things by myself is never my favorite idea but the Lord has provided as He always does. I have a great place to stay - the YMCA Hostel, which close to some great shopping and three different MRT (subway) lines. I was also incredibly blessed to have someone process the visa for me, which saved me a lot of time and frustration. I dropped my passport off at his office in the morning (just three subway stops and one transfer away!) and picked it up again that evening. Back doors take one day and front doors take at least a couple of days and lot more stress, especially when you are trying to do it by yourself :) The malls near my hostel have lots of stores with familiar brands and favorite foods. My list of things to take back to friends in Indonesia keeps growing -- good thing I brought a big enough suitcase :) Thanks for all your prayers for the visa and a safe trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment