Sunday, July 14, 2013

How to Survive Life in Indonesia - Volume 1

Here are just a few things I have learned in my past two weeks here in Indonesia...
  • You can never have enough Tupperware, although it does seem that no matter where you live, you can never find the right lid! Tupperware is good for many things including:
    • Keeping the ants out of your food. 
    • Keeping things like crackers dry and crispy in this high humidity. 
    • Trapping bugs like cockroaches until you figure out how to deal with them. 
Cockroach trapped under tupperware :) 
  • The two women living in the house seem to have a hindu belief system when it comes to respecting the animal kingdom. So far in the past two weeks, two cockroaches, one vinegar bug, and a beautiful moth/butterfly thing have been found in the house. We are very good at catch and release of all animals into the yard. It is important to note though that vinegar bugs kill cockroaches, so ideally they should be allowed to stay in the house, even though they look like scorpions. If one must get rid of them (i.e. they are in the shower and you are worried about stepping on them), you should catch and release them into the same area as the cockroach in hopes that the vinegar bug will find and kill the cockroach! 
  • Even after living here for three years previously, I still have little understanding of the what the horn and blinkers indicate a car or motorcycle is about to do. I must however try to learn it, as I will soon be doing some driving of my own on a moped. 
Our presentation today, on surviving life in Indonesia, was brought to you by Placenta UV - Whitening Lotion. Available at a supermarket in Indonesia near you! 


PS: I suppose I should now go deal with the cockroach that is under the tupperware in my closet instead of waiting for bedtime, when it will surely escape and make it very hard for me to sleep in my bedroom :)
PPS: So I was a good and went and relocated said cockroach outside. Then just now when I went to get ready for bed there was another cockroach and two vinegar bugs hunting him in my bathroom. Cockroach relocated outside. Requested vinegar bugs return to their cracks, so I won't step on them in the middle of the night! 

2 comments:

  1. Okay hun, here is a word from the wise, from those who have gone before. The best way to kill a cockroach is with a fly swatter. (We catch and release many things also, but cockroaches are the lowest of the low.) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you really kill them with a fly swatter?! They seem like rather tough critters! I was thinking it might require a gavel type thing :) Ok adding fly swatter to the shopping list. I actually did just kill one with Karl's tennis shoe - shh don't tell him :) I hate the mess they make!

      Delete